Uttoxeter Racecourse. Brief History

First races held at Uttoxeter

Uttoxeter Races

The first recorded race at Uttoxeter was on Friday 5th Feb 1847

The following was supplied , by Scott McMahon of the Uttoxeter Advertiser, in December 1993. I reproduce it in full

The Staffordshire Advertiser Saturday Feb 13th 1847

A writing of an event taken place at Uttoxeter

TITLE :- UTTOXETER STEEPLE CHASE

(from a correspondent)

These races came off on Friday , the 5th inst., and if anything were wanting to prove the increasing popularity of this sport, the recent event at this place would do so. This success is mainly attributed to the liberality exertions and good generalship of Mr. Thomas Philips.

After some little difficulty in obtaining ground, a most beautiful line of country was obtained by the kind permission of the several owners and occupiers, close to the town, and with the exception of a garden composed of sound ground.

The line ran was on each side of the valley of the Picknall stream, and had to be traversed twice, crossing in their course five times over the brook. The distance was about three miles and three quarters in the first race, and three miles in the second. There was not a fence but a horse with fair pretensions might clear though the of them required a good deal of jumping and were about thirty five altogether.

The days sport was wound up by an excellent dinner at Mr. J Garle’s Red Lion Hotel, to which upwards of forty gentlemen sat down and a handsome subscription was entered into for another year.

So started the Uttoxeter Races


The Red Lion is no longer trading and is now a fast food venue situated on the corner of Market Pl. And Bridge St. above the door is a stained glass window displaying a Red Lion   








Racing at Keele

In 1870 the estate passed to Ralph's famously idle brother, Rev Walter Sneyd. Walter was so exhausted in God's ministry that he retired to a comfortable but busy indolence in his mid-twenties. He went on to collect rare books and manuscripts and established one of the most notable private libraries in the country.

Walter’s son Ralph threw a notable party for three thousand people at Keele Hall when he attained his majority. He also found time to race horses and to lead the local Hunt. "Sporting Ralph" was the last of the family to reside at Keele, although he actually lived away for much of the time. He founded the Keele Park racecourse and built breeding stables (now the Clock House buildings) and even a railway station for the convenience of race-goers. The Keele racecourse was located to the right of Clockhouse Drive, facing away from the Clock House. The home straight is now under the M6.  In 1907 Uttoxeter Racecourse was built and opened by a company formed to take over the interests and licence of Keele Park Racecourse which had recently ceased to operate.

More Information on the Sneyd Family and Keele Estate click here

1907 racing returns to Uttoxeter

1907 The racecourse was built and opened by a company formed to take over the interests and licence of Keele Park racecourse, which had recently ceased to operate. There were 5 days of racing in 1907, 2 in May, 2 in October and 1 in December. According to 'The Racecourse of Great Britain and Ireland' guide "the meeting is largely patronised by the nobility and gentry and sportsmen in the county there being 100 members already subscribed to the Club".

2016 Results

The results are supplied by irishracing.com  

Note: Result Links open in New Window

2017 Results

The results are supplied by irishracing.com  

Note: Result Links open in New Window

Results
Home Race Courses 2yo Contact Us

LIVING THE DREAM

WeGoRacing

Home

Race Courses

2yo

Contact Us